Wednesday, March 2, 2011

For Who, as Lady Catherine Says, Will Connect Themselves with Such a Family

"as my dear Charlotte informs me, that this licentiousness of behaviour in your daughter has proceeded from a faulty degree of indulgence, though at the same time, for the consolation of yourself and Mrs. Bennet, I am inclined to think that her own disposition must be naturally bad, or she could not be guilty of such an enormity at so early an age.

Howsoever that may be, you are grievously to be pitied, in which opinion I am not only joined by Mrs. Collins, but likewise by Lady Catherine and her daughter, to whom I have related the affair. They agree with me in apprehending that this false step in one daughter will be injurious to the fortunes of all the others; for who, as Lady Catherine herself condescendingly says, will connect themselves with such a family." -Mr. Collins from Pride and Prejudice

Dior did the right thing by acting quickly to dismiss John Galliano.  But I am still reeling.  How could someone who creates such beautiful things, say something so ugly?



The 1998 Maria Luisa silk taffeta evening gown from the Costume Institute exhibit AngloMania.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails