Monday, April 2, 2012

Marie Antoinette's Silk Slippers

Marie Antoinette's silk slippers were recently sold in France for 43,225 euros.  They were in white silk with faded ribbons in red, blue and white.

Photo from Hotel des Ventes de Toulon

She is believed to have worn them with a white dress and with a head piece in matching tricolor ribbons and feathers to the Fete de la Federation on July 14th 1790.  Marie Antoinette wore a dainty size 36.5 shoe.

Do you remember the shoes from Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette?  Manolo Blahnik, who made the shoes for the film, said "If Marie Antoinette called me to go to Paris and make shoes only for her, I would go in a second."

So in a bit of fashion fantasy, Manolo got to make the shoes for Kirsten Dunst's Marie Antoinette.





Photos from Paddock

The shoes above remind me of a pair of Manolo Blahnik's my husband bought me years ago:


I love to wear them when I am lounging about and eating macaroons from Ladurée**

And from the movie, Marie Antoinette, gifted by Manolo Blahnik to the Met Museum:


**of course, I don't really wear them as I lounge about eating macaroons from Ladurée.  BUT I would if I had more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails