Friday, May 20, 2011

Tina Chow: "I like the idea of wearing very personal jewelry"

I have to pinch myself every time a single Tina Chow piece comes my way and when three pieces come my way, I have to pinch myself three times!  And have a moment of silence to reflect on how wonderful RARE vintage has been to me.  

It is not just about the private homes that have been opened to me, the stories people have shared about their grandmothers, mothers, sisters and friends, the clothes I have acquired for RARE vintage, or all of the incredible and interesting people I have met through my store.  It is about being a part of the history of each piece that I buy - and I only buy those pieces I love as much as the original owner did - and then care for until it goes to a new home to be loved some more.  The Tina Chow pieces have made so many people so happy and that is their legacy.  And I like to think that would have made Tina Chow happy as well.


Tina Chow photographed by Helmut Newton
From Vogue 1987:

"I like the idea of wearing very personal jewelry and not so much decoration," Tina Chow says.  As a result there is an Orientalist spareness about her jewelry - a sense that every detail has been considered-   (and this is really true.  Her jewelry is crazy refined.  Even down to the beautiful parchment boxes signed with a shiny, deep black Tina Chow signature.)  - every element is as it should be.  (Tina worked closely with master tea ceremony basketmaker Kosuge Shockikudo, who created the encasements.)  The pieces -like Tina- defy categorization.  Shapes are simple, straightforward - often dictated by the stones.  Chosen materials are hardly standard fare; that too is characteristically Tina: "Uncut stones are so wonderful, why muddle about with them?"

Tina Chow Fluorite and Bamboo 'Meditation' Pendant

Iconic.  Rare. Extraordinary.




A single Tibetan Turquoise and 18 karat gold earring



Remember the photo of Tina Chow in her single earring?


A rock crystal Arrowhead pendant on a Japanese silk cord



2 comments:

  1. These are very wonderful pieces .. she was so happy doing this on her own. More than just pretty jewelry .. she loved the process of working in Japan with the very refined crafts people she chose. Simple and pure ..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails