Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Mad for Mats Gustafson

I have learned, in buying for RARE vintage, never to say never.  Because you never know.  I never entirely shut the door on a designer - who may not be a favorite of mine - just because you never know when you will see something unexpected and fall in love.  I always want to see before deciding no - or yes.

And you know how I was just writing about Antonio Lopez and fashion illustration?  How fashion illustration was never a particular favorite genre of mine until I saw Joe Eula's drawings for Halston.  Well, never say never, because now I have fallen for the Swedish illustrator Mats Gustafson.

Mats Gustafson saw the work of Antonio Lopez when he was growing up in Sweden and it "triggered something in me that made me think I can do this".  And in 1978 he received a commission from Grace Coddington at British Vogue.

In the 1980s Gustafson moved to New York and started creating illustrated advertising campaigns for Romeo Gigli, Commes des Garçons and Yohji Yamamoto.  (Those were the days!  Love all of those 80s pieces from Gigli, Commes, Yohji...)

Mats Gustafson for Romeo Gigli.  Vogue Italia. 1990


Mats Gustafson for Romeo Gigli.  Swimsuit.  1989

Mats Gustafson for Yohji Yamamoto.  Vogue Italia.  1999

And now Gustafson was commissioned by Raf Simons at the house of Dior to draw some of the pieces from Fall 2013 and Resort 2013 collections...  I will definitely be ordering the book Mats Gustafson Watercolors.

Dior by Mats Gustafson. 2014

Dior by Mats Gustafson.  2014

Dior by Mats Gustafson.  2014

love, kisses and vintage,  Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails