Thursday, June 26, 2014

Jane Hsiang by Gleb Derujinsky

I am reading JFK Jr, George & Me by Matt Berman which I highly recommend.  It is interesting not just because of the bits of insight you get into the lives of John F Kennedy Jr and Carolyn Bessette Kennedy (who called everyone honey and seemed to be a bit of a mother hen) but also because  Berman writes about his time time at Elle magaizne in the 1980s under the CEO Daniel Filipacchi and the creation of George magazine.

1980/early 1990s New York was such a different world then and that world no longer exists: no cell phones, Leo Castelli was in Soho, Soho had IF boutique and not Bloomingdales, magazines were not created on a Macintosh, Au Bar was the place to be and now it is all gone - JFK Jr and Carolyn Bessette are gone too...

The description of working at Elle under is very entertaining and I became curious about a fashion director Berman wrote about, Jane Hsiang, who had been model in the 1960s.  So I did what one could not have done in the 80s and googled her and found this striking image of her:

Jane Hsiang photographed by Gleb Derujinsky

Isn't it amazing?  Isn't she beautiful?    I love that super chic hat, the two bangles, the cocktail ring... I had never seen this image before and I think it is now one of my favorite fashion images from the 1960s.

love, kisses and order JFK Jr, George & Me, Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails